Saturday, October 28, 2017

Pater Noster with Lani

ImageDesc
Lani and I spent a delightful Friday afternoon at the Pater Noster church. A cave (still present today) was one the places that Helena (the mother of Constantine) identified as a sacred spot and was the location of one of the three basilicas she had built (along with the Church of the Nativity and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher).

We spent some time in the cave, reading scriptures and singing hymns about prayer. While we were there, a group of pilgrims from Guatemala came and recited the Lord’s Prayer together with intense reverence. It was really touching.

As I pondered the phrase, “Lord teach me to pray” I felt that I could learn more about how to pray while at Pater Noster. I’m sure that we can learn how to pray any time we ask for guidance, but one thing that really struck me at that site was the importance of the first part of the Lord’s prayer: The first thing Christ does is reverence His Father, and focus on “thy will be done.” I should better emulate this.

ImageDesc

ImageDesc

ImageDesc

The Lord's prayer is posted here in many languages, including braille in multiple languages.

No comments: