Saturday, December 2, 2017

Corinth

Corinth was probably my favorite site of the trip. Two places that stood out were the Bema and the temple of Apollo.



The Bema (“judgment seat,” Acts 18:12) is where Paul was brought to trial in Corinth. Gallio, the proconsul, refused to take sides in the matter, judging it to be a religious issue that didn’t concern him. (Side note: we got to see the Gallio Inscription in Delphi; it is cool because it gives us a fixed time period for Paul’s ministry in Corinth).

We talked about some insights from the Acts account: Acts 18:4-6 “And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. And when Silas and Timothy were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ. And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.”

*Notice that Paul preached to both Jews and Greeks (converts) in the synagogue. He was upset with their rejection and declares that from now on he will go to the Gentiles. It’s also interesting though that he had previously declared that he would go to Gentiles (Acts 13:46). It made me think of Paul getting frustrated and saying, “I quit!” But he didn’t really quit.

“Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:  For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city” (Acts 18:9-10).

This touched me to think of Paul being afraid, hesitant perhaps in the face of rejection he has received. But receiving encouragement from the Lord, he pressed forward.


Connected with Corinth is of course the epistles 1 and 2 Corinthians. We discussed the context of 1 Corinthians, noting several passages that illustrate the divisions that were amongst the people. One of the solutions to this division is charity – I loved reading 1 Corinthians 13 in Corinth.


One of my favorite scripture accounts has been that of eating meat offered to idols (1 Corinthians 8). To me one the take home messages is to not focus on “It’s my right to do such and such,” but to rather ask myself, “How will doing such and such affect other people? We discussed this story in view of the temple of Apollos and had a great experience. 

 



No comments: